White Night Melbourne is a popular event that attracts large crowds, so we recommend you spend a little time thinking about how you will get here, when to arrive and what to see.
- This year, the White Night Melbourne northern and southern precincts have expanded considerably. Consider commencing your journey in either the Carlton Gardens or Alexandra Gardens / Queen Victoria Gardens before coming into the city.
- If you are planning to take the train, consider exiting at Melbourne Central and commencing your journey at the north end – which includes stunning works at the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne Museum Plaza and the Carlton Gardens.
- You can expect large crowds from 7.00pm to midnight, but the programs run all night so if a particular work is busy, come back at a later time. If you find yourself in a crowd, be patient and follow any directions from the White Night Melbourne team.
- Extra road closures this year mean that while Swanston Street and Flinders Street may be particularly busy between 7.00pm and 11.00pm, Russell and Elizabeth Streets are expected to have lighter pedestrian foot traffic.
- Finally, look out for one another and have a wonderful White Night Melbourne 2017!
What's on in the Northern Precincts?
Beginning your White Night in the north will offer you hours of fun to illuminate your evening, including plenty of family-friendly works suitable for all ages. Melbourne Museum's Children's Gallery will be open, and the Melbourne Museum Plaza and nearby Carlton Gardens will both be home to spectacular installations and entertainment including The Pyrophone Juggernaut, Nebulous and Rhythms of the Night.
The Pyrophone Juggernaut
Rhythms of the Night
What's on in the Southern Precincts?
The southern precincts – encompassing Alexandra and Queen Victoria Gardens, the NGV and Arts Centre Melbourne – feature enough live music, installations, illuminations, projections and exhibitions to last the whole night! Highlights include the floating jellyfish we call The Medusa, the adorable giant bunnies of Intrude and our herald of love, peace and compassion, The White Knight Messenger.
White Knight Messenger